Don't be so shy, tell us about yourself.

Talk scooters or talk smack, we don't care.

Moderators: bustedknuckle, wireburn

w6euh
Scooter(s) Owned: Genuine Buddy 170i (2012).

Hello, newbie here

Postby w6euh » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi, my name is Marcelo. I'm from Chile, now living here in the US.
I wasn't sure about not being shy, because there were quite a few comments against "chinese crap". (Those comments were posted in 2008, but they're still there and the first ones that visitors read.)
Even though I'm not Chinese, my scooter is. Taiwanese, to be precise.

A long time ago I had a Japanese Honda MB-100. I really enjoyed that little machine! (I know it wasn't a scooter. I didn't like scooters 35 years ago.)

Anyway, back to a more recent past, a couple of weeks ago my wife saw this 2012 Genuine Buddy 170i posted on the Facebook Marketplace at a very good price. Dealer hold over, only 36 miles, like new. Did some research and found out that they were manufactured in Taiwan, not in the PR of China. And it seems that PGO (or whatever the name of the manufacturer is) has their own manufacturing style, that seems to be working pretty well for them.
I also figured out that either Genuine Scooters have done a pretty good marketing job in the last few years, or their scooters are quite good, or both, because I have read more good reviews than bad ones about them.

We decided to go there and take a look to that Buddy scooter... Tried it for a few minutes and we both (my wife and I) fell in love with it. She said that it would be my birthday present, so we closed the deal with the seller right away.

No idea if the quality of the machine will be remotely comparable to the traditional makes. Maybe not. We'll see, I guess.

If you have been patient enough to read this far, you've read several "I don't know". That's true. And I would like to learn from people like you; also share experiences and have a good time.

So, please tell me, considering that a) my scooter is Taiwanese, and b) is more than 150cc... Do you think that it'd be a good idea for me to stick around?
Thanks and have a nice one!

P.S.: Somebody mentioned that this forum is less frequently used and apparently now Facebook is the preferred media for the group. I just found https://www.facebook.com/groups/56143636136/, I hope it's the right one.

dan v.

Re: Don't be so shy, tell us about yourself.

Postby dan v. » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:49 am

Hi,,Marcello. welcome to the group. Are you in Grand Rapids?
The Buddy is one of the most popular scooters in the group. You made a good choice.

Hope to run into you on one of our Thursday rides.
How many scoots is too many?

Return to “GR City”